History

submenu

Department history

The Radiation Oncology program at the University of Minnesota has existed as a division of the Medical School since 1925. The department thrived and grew as part of the University from 1925 through 1970.  In 1970, The Department of Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology was established by the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota. The department existed as Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology until 2012. In 2012, the department name was changed to the Department of Radiation Oncology by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents.

A History of Leadership: Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology

Department Heads:
Kathryn E. Dusenbery, M.D. 1999–present
Seymour H. Levitt, M.D. 1970–1999

Medical Physics Section Head:
Parham Alaei, Ph.D. 2016-present
Patrick D. Higgins, Ph.D. 2011–2016
Bruce Gerbi, Ph.D. 2001–2010
Faiz Khan, Ph.D. 1973–2001

Radiobiology Lab Section Head:
Chang Song, Ph.D. 1970–present

Experimental Cancer Immunology Lab Section Head:
Daniel Vallera, Ph.D. 1989–present

Division Heads:
Guilio J. D'Angio, M.D. 1964–1968
Donn Mosser, M.D. 1956–1964
Karl Stenstrom, Ph.D. 1925–1956